Monday, October 21, 2013

Trip Planning: Finding a Guidebook

To continue on with this trip planning series, I started to look at guidebooks.  My cousin had one from the last time she went over to London so I started to take a look at that one. 




I was thinking, this is good for London, but I need them for ALL of the places we are going to.  So Addie and I decided to take a trip to our local bookstore (it was a study break!).  Upon arriving to there we found ourselves LOST at the huge selection of travel books, especially for all of the destinations we are planning to visit.  Since we don't have a lot of time, I was hoping to look for something that would be quick and easy.  Remembering that I already have the "Top 10 London" one from Eyewitness Travel, I went in search for all of the other ones.  I also decided to take a look at some travel guides offered by other companies (e.g. The Lonely Planet, Frommers, etc.)  


source: http://hplusmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/BooksAplenty-150x150.jpg
When I laid out all the books in front of us... I immediately felt stressed and overwhelmed.  There is so much information.  The best way for us to do it was to do it city by city.  I also picked up a quick guide for "First Time Travelling in Europe."  I had Addie look into that book while I searched through all the other travel guides.

I just skimmed them to see if they were relevant and also to see the general prices of what would be there.  I personally felt that the information from the general "First Time Travelling in Europe" book was much more helpful.  At the end, I did not purchase any of the books (I did consider getting the one that Addie was reading but the line was too long.) but vowed to make sure I come back and pick some up once I have an even better idea of what we needed.

I was really glad that I got a chance to lay out all the information in front of me to start getting an idea.  

So the lesson of the day is to be organized.

Tips for Finding a Guidebook:


1. Determine what you don't know and what you want to know.
source: https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjXg42DuiZgsgvbXSQMX-TH8n6M2lrYyWzw0tc3i5zPUp2WJMTgXuuugX92RJBDf_nB3M6mwnig8qTh3RUg9_WybRcadVdmBt3Rq4CBmM30lNopO5ZYRk-RvdPZXhgbuzlbgFsRj6tXa84I/s320/Unknown-Knowns.jpg
2. Take a look at a variety of guidebooks (for one city) and find one that you like best. 

source: http://www.nationsonline.org/maps/political_world_map3000.jpg

3. Take it one step at a time.



Thoughtfully yours,

C.C.

No comments:

Post a Comment